Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Why am I here?

A few entries ago, as I sat in Chicago waiting for my flight to Korea at the start of this journey, I had a moment to think about the reasons why I chose to come to Indonesia. I remember not being able to think of anything specific. Sure I, like many people, was looking for an opportunity to ‘make a difference’ or ‘contribute’ but I often feel like these terms are over-used – big fancy terms that look great on paper but may not necessarily mean a lot in the real world. Clearly I was looking for some kind of adventure as well, but it didn't feel like enough. So I was still trying to come up with a reason all my own for doing this, and I think there is finally one materializing.

I had the immense pleasure of attending the VSO Indonesia Annual Volunteer Conference in Kupang, on the island of West Timor. I met VSO volunteers from all over the world, people who are already in their placements, unlike me (I am still in the relative luxury of Bali attempting to learn Bahasa before heading off to Solo in about 3 weeks). They are entrenched in the actual work of strengthening and building capacity within VSO’s local partner organizations to better deliver the services they have set out to deliver to those in need.

VSO operates in 3 program areas in Indonesia: Disability (where I will be working), Livelihoods, and Health. There are approximately 40 VSO volunteers working in these three areas primarily on the island of Java and in the province of Nusa Tenggara Timor, or NTT, the poorest in Indonesia. This past weekend, I learned of a project to improve water management, and therefore increase crop yields, in an area often affected by drought. I learned of a young mother who managed to get her malnourished baby to a healthy weight because a VSO volunteer facilitated a workshop on nutrition for newborn babies. I learned of small but essential improvements in the delivery of health services. I learned about a disabled man who is proudly working in the security department of a hotel here in Bali, because he had been introduced to them by a Disabled Peoples’ Organization that VSO had assisted in developing a formal employment program.

These are real accomplishments facilitated by volunteers on the ground here in Indonesia. I would like to emphasize that these changes were not implemented by volunteers. The VSO volunteers' role is to aid organizations to determine themselves what they need and assist them to get there – which hopefully means that the improvement itself becomes sustainable and remains long after the volunteer has gone home.

After hearing about these results and seeing the tenacity and passion with which these amazing men and women tackle their projects, I can only hope that I am able to help facilitate small but important improvements in the lives of people with disabilities in Solo. And that, I think, is reason enough to be here.

6 comments:

  1. interesting read!

    wanting to make a difference was certainly something that I initially wanted to do, both in my voluntary work and my job with oxfam. having had time to reflect - i have realised that i was really quite self obsessed. I wanted to make myself feel better, i wanted answers to the mystery of my life.

    in the long run I didn't achieve either and I guess that I have learnt that just to be part of something is enough. just to experience it, take it all in!

    anyway, that was a bit deep and meaningful for me - so I will stop there! looking forward to the next post. elly x

    ReplyDelete
  2. My own experience with development projects was under quite different, but it remains one of the most satisfying things I have ever done. There is no "big bang" solution to development problems but all change is small and incremental. Good luck and keep writing when you can!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unkal Dayen! The girls miss you. I showed them on the globe where you were again and Adele's eyes got really wide. "Wow, he is really far away! Does that mean he won't be visiting us?" Yup. I showed her where Sault Ste. Marie was and said it takes a whole day to drive there, and it would take a really long time to drive to where ytou are. Adele told me not to be silly. Cars can't drive on oceans. She has a point.

    Anyway, I am glad you are finding your purpose, your adventure and learning. We miss you here.

    Take care.

    Francis

    ReplyDelete
  4. look at my little urban bf doing manual labour. i'm so proud. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Nardi! Beeeel and I have found our purpose tonight. We've finished the better part of a 24 of Keiths and we're picking up 2 large Chicago Style pizzas in a half hour...oh, and it's only 7! But really, we still can't believe the sacrifice you're making by doing this thing. Aside from being away for six months from Michael, you're having to live in much different conditions and you seem to be grinning and bearing it.

    ReplyDelete